Sunday, June 14, 2015

Teach Them Diligently...

I usually do a review of the year and what my thoughts are on the year that has passed. And todays post is no different.
  I am surprised that this year has come and is gone. It's amazing to think of all that has happened in this year. We moved twice, I had an amputation and Jr Bug joined us in school. Tater surpassed my expectations and has begun to read off the charts. She is spelling everything in sight. She is growing by leaps and bounds.
  This year I went to my first ever homeschool conference which helped to change my views and lesson planning practices. I've always planned to plan ahead. And to teach using worksheets. Now, I teach based on hands on experience. Using activities that teach where they are, and using real life examples to help bring home lessons.
Today I was asked why do I homeschool. I can enroll the kids in public school and catch a break. I mentioned that God set me on the path to homeschool and to not homeschool is me not following in obedience to God. It was then stated that maybe that it's my idea to homeschool. I said no. It's written in Deuteronomy 6:7 and 11:19 that I am to teach my children diligently, in my house, from the time I/they rise until I/they go to sleep. This is my charge. To teach them, to train them, to educate them. Not just in the world of academia, but in the ways of the Lord.
For I can teach them only academics, but then they could just go to public school. It is my job, my duty, my charge from God to teach them about Him. If I don't, I'm no better than the local government institution in which my taxes go to pay.
If I don't teach them about God, then the world is willing to teach them that He doesn't exist. I can't allow that to happen. They are my gift from God and I am expected to teach them that not only does He exist, but He loves them more than mommy ever will.
Have I taught them this? Have I taught them of His love, mercy, grace, and of His forgiveness. I can honestly say that I have tried. I have attempted to teach them about God and Jesus, prayer, mercy and grace. I've attempted to show them my faith, by watching me reading my Bible, meditating on His word, lifting my feeble voice in praise. I've encouraged their attempt in grace and in mercy. I've encouraged their attempt to pray and accept Christ in their life. I've watched them praise Him in their own way.
Yes, I'm charged with teaching them diligently and yes I am working on teaching them from sun up until the going down of the same.
Have I taught them academics, yes. They are learning numbers, addition, subtraction, letters, sentence structure, and about their history. We've studied mammals, birds, insects, about the 7 continents, and the ocean shoreline. We've discussed clouds, the water cycle, nouns and verbs, and the Underground Railroad. Yes we've covered quite a bit in terms of studies.  
  They have both received Excellence in Education awards and numerous other awards throughout the year.
  But they've also learned to pray to Jesus, to help lead others to Jesus. They've also helped in singing and in praising God.
Yes, I'm diligently teaching them about God's ways from sun up until the going down of the same. And yes I'll continue again for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment